About an hour before a workout, for an energy-boost, go for a combination of complex carbohydrates and protein.The carbs give long-lasting energy, and your body will need the protein after muscle protein is broken down during your exercise program. Have fun trying different combinations like these:
- apple slices and peanut butter
- oatmeal and raisins, cranberries, or blueberries
- baked pita chips, hummus, and grapes
- whole wheat pita stuffed with grilled chicken and avocado
- scrambled egg on toast with orange slices
Eating something everything three-four hours, and drinking plenty of water (experts say half your body weight in ounces of water/day is a good guide) is the best way to keep that energy flowing, and the metabolism going!